Sharpen the Saw is a piece of advice from the late Stephen Covey, actually, it is the Seventh Habit from my favorite personal development book of all, “The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People.” The idea behind sharpening the saw is to seek continuous improvement and renewal professionally and personally.
One way that I do this is to listen to the wisdom of others through Podcasts. The podcast that I want to talk about today is: “The Picturing Success” Podcast hosted by Rick Sammon, and Larry Becker. These two guys interview the best photographers in the world. They have been in the industry a long time and therefore have a lot of amazing contacts. The podcast is about the art and business of photography.
The episodes are very informative, as both of these guys are educators when it comes right down to it. Rick travels the world leading photo workshops, giving talks to huge audiences; writing books; recording training videos, and doing podcasts. Larry is a very successful trainer in many areas, including Photoshop, and a gear review Guru. He currently is very involved in video work – helping still photographers add video to their tool box; and of course is involved in teaching through podcasts and his own work at LarryBecker.tv
I recently re-listened to the Top 5 most popular podcasts from 2018 as ranked by iTunes. (Not sure if they are actually the Top 5, but maybe so!) and wanted to share with you a snippet of who they are interviewing and some of the topics:
5) Lewis Kemper. Episode 62 posted on Aug 16, 2018. Lewis is a photographer that worked with Ansel Adams! What an experience and opportunity that must have been! Lewis actually inspired Rick to use a tripod back in the day. He also gave Landscape Photography tips (hint hint: he once worked with Ansel Adams!) see his work at: https://www.lewiskemper.com
4) Scott Bourne. Episode 63 posted on Aug 20, 2018. Scott is a Wildlife Photographer – specializing in birds, Author, Lecturer, and is Senior Advisor with Skylum Software, photography software. There is much much more to Scott, I will let you explore that. The podcast episode gave a good review of the Skylum software, what’s going on, what’s coming up, etc. See his work at: https://scottbourne.online/portfolio-2/
3) Kevin Newsome. Episode 30 posted Apr 26, 2018. Kevin has over 30 years of experience experience as a portrait and event photographer in the Tampa area. He talked about keeping things fresh in the industry and keeping ahead of the crowd. Some advice: Do the work; keep changing; be creative. See his work at: newsomesstudio.com/senior-pictures-photographer-tampa/
2) Unmesh Dinda. Episode 90 posted on Dec 24, 2018. Unmesh is a commercial retouched and Photoshop Educator based in India. He has a popular Facebook page and YouTube channel called, “PiXimperfect.” His YouTube channel has 300 videos on Photoshop and Lightroom. In the podcast, he gave many helpful editing tips; and ways to ruin an image. See his work at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMrvLMUITAlmCHMOhx88PYQ/featured?disable_polymer=1
1) Scott Kelby. Episode 18 posted on Mar 15, 2018. Scott does so much and is so much to so many in the industry that I will use the condensed “about me” from his website. Scott is a Photographer, award-winning authorand the original “Photoshop Guy” as well as the CEO of KelbyOne, an online educational community for photographers, Photoshop and Lightroom users (and I would add…for creatives in general). In the podcast, Scott urged beginners to learn these three things: Exposure, Shutterspeed, ISO. He also gave a lot of great advice on getting great Landscape images. See his work at: https://scottkelby.com
So, if you feel like you need to “sharpen the saw”, and who doesn’t? Please check out this podcast. Their website is at: https://picturingsuccess.com and the podcast can be found on the website, on iTunes, and on Spotify.